I’ve made it a tradition to make an advent calendar for my favorite holidays and events. I’ve been making custom designed magnetic favor tins with a fun surprise each day inside the tin. Each day there is a different activity, treat, or something special to unveil.
Check out the other countdown’s I’ve put together:
- Christmas Advent – Each day had a fun activity to do to celebrate the season
- Valentines Day Countdown – Each day was a reason why we love each kid
- Easter Countdown – Each day had a treat
- Birthday Countdown – Each day had a treat and something special about the birthday boy or girl
Halloween Countdown Tutorial
- 2″ Round Tins by Wilton
- Free Halloween countdown printables (see below)
- 2″ Fiskars Squeeze Circle Punch
- Mod Podge
- Magnetic Board
- 10×20 Frame
- Metal Sheet (I picked up a roll from Lowe’s in the roofing section)
- Metal Cutters
Print the Halloween patterns for the favor tins then cut the numbers into a circle shape using a 2″ circle paper punch. My favorite paper punch is this squeeze punch by Fiskars.
Cover each circle with Modge Podge.
Place into the top of the favor tin so it is attached to the clear plastic.
Let the Modge Podge dry.
While the tops of the tins are drying, tape the jokes to the bottom of the tins.
Once the tops are dry, tape the punchlines to the lids of the tins. When you open the tin, you will see the joke at the bottom of the tin and the punchline will be in the lid.
Glue the magnets onto the tins with E-6000. I’ve tried to glue the magnets with a hot glue and some of the magnets peel off.
With 31 tins, I needed a larger magnetic board than I’ve used with the other countdowns I’ve created. I used math to calculate how large of a board I would need. It turned out that a 10 x 20 frame would work perfect and I happened to have one on hand. Score.
Measure a metal sheet (I picked mine up at Lowe’s in the roofing section) to the appropriate size, then cut with metal cutters.
Place the metal in the frame so the metal is flush with the frame.
Place the tins on the metal frame and…
you are ready to countdown to Halloween!