How much do you know about your morning cup of joe? We’ve rounded up some coffee facts that just might surprise you!
Coffee is a controversial beverage. Is it healthy? Is it unhealthy? How much is too much coffee? Whether you’re a coffee fan or not, I hope you’ll find these coffee facts interesting!
Personally, I love a cup of coffee. Now that I have a baby, I’m a two to three cup-a-day gal. Not only do I like drinking coffee, I’m kind of a nerd for coffee-related research. I enjoy checking out the latest studies on coffee and sorting out ways to make my coffee habit a little bit more eco-friendly.
Related Reading: 14 Ways to Reuse Coffee Filters
Are you a coffee drinker? Check out these fun coffee facts!
1. French press coffee may raise your cholesterol.
Wait! But there’s no cholesterol or saturated fat in coffee! That’s true. Read about how cafestrol – a compound in unfiltered coffee – can impact cholesterol.
2. Coffee may prevent depression.
In a survey of over 50,000 women, researchers found that 2-4 cups of coffee per day reduced incidence of depression by 15 to 20 percent. Read more!
3. Out of creamer? You can lighten coffee with coconut milk!
It’s called Bulletproof Coffee, and if you like coconut, you are going to love this! Read more!
4. Not all coffee is vegan.
In fact civet coffee production not only involves animals but is under investigation for animal cruelty. Read more!
5. Fancy coffee concoctions often contain GMOs.
If you are trying to avoid GMOs, you may want to think twice about that pumpkin spice latte. Read more!
6. Coffee might prevent type 2 diabetes.
A recent study found that 2-3 cups of coffee per day could reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by as much as 25 percent. Read more!
7. We drink about 1400 million cups of coffee every day.
That’s right! Worldwide, we are consuming 1.4 billion cups of java daily. Read more!
8. It takes 130 liters (over 34 gallons) of water to produce the beans for 1 cup of coffee.
Coffee is not the most water-efficient drink, that’s for sure. Read more!
9. Coffee may protect women from endometrial cancer.
A massive survey found that coffee – decaf or regular – can reduce endometrial cancer risk by around seven to eight percent. Read more!
10. Contrary to conventional wisdom, coffee grounds are not great for your garden, even for plants that like acidic soil.
Where can they be beneficial? In your compost bin. Read more!
Have you run across any fun coffee facts? Tell us about them in the comments!
RelatedToo Much Coffee? Let’s Check the Research!
8 Ways to Make Your Coffee (or Tea) Healthier
Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-surprising-coffee-facts.html#ixzz2hEX2aB4C